I’ve been looking for an opportunity to get my picture taken with Santa Claus. Yes, I’m nearly 24 years old. No, I did not write a Dear Santa letter with a wishlist of presents (OK, maybe I did, but only on Pinterest).But if there is love in your heart and mind, you will feel like Christmas all the time. At least, that’s what Faith Hill told me.I know it’s cliche, but I love Christmas. I’m not one of those people who loves it so much they start up the carols Nov. 1, but in its proper place, I love the holiday.I had this bright idea this year that it would be special for my husband and I to get a picture with Santa and send it out with the obligatory Christmas card. I didn’t do Christmas cards last year, but it’s a tradition I’d like to start.The problem, though, is catching up with Santa during his amazingly quick travels throughout the country – nay, the world – to find an appropriate time for said picture opp.I got the idea when I noticed the flier for Santa pictures over at Resurrect antique store. Perfect, I thought. Until I noticed the date. That’s the weekend I’ll be gone to the beach.Who goes to the beach in mid-November? Apparently I do. Santa will be arriving at Village Mall in Auburn Nov. 22 … at which point I will already be at the beach.I hear he makes a yearly appearance at Christmas in a Railroad Town… but my kid brother graduates from college that Friday. Ho ho humbug. Somehow or other I will find my chance for a holly jolly photo shoot with the big man himself. If you too are looking for your magical chance to meet Santa – or, if you’re not an almost-24-year-old-oddity like me, your magical chance to take your children to meet Santa, – I have included here just a few local and semi-local scheduled Santa appearances.May your days be merry and bright as we begin the holiday season.
- Vintage Santa will be at Resurrect Nov. 23 from 10 a.m. to noon! Photos will be available for pick up same day! Two appointment times remained as of the writing of this column.
- The Rocky Brook Rocket Reindeer Express event in Opelika’s municipal park will feature pictures with Santa as well as entertainment, food, hot chocolate and Christmas lights, Dec. 5-6 from 5-8 p.m.
- At the 19th annual Christmas in a Railroad Town, Dec. 13 from 6-9 p.m., families will be able to enjoy photos with Santa as well as pony rides, caroling, local dining and shopping and the annual Victorian Front Porch Christmas Tour.
- Santa will arrive at Village Mall Nov. 22 during a program featuring a performance by Make your Move Studio and a reading of “The Elf on the Shelf,” beginning at 6:30 p.m.
- The Auburn Christmas parade, Dec. 6 at 5 p.m., will be preceded and followed with open house in downtown Auburn, featuring pictures with Santa, a live nativity, live music and special sales.
- Santa will make regular appearances at the Shoppes at East Chase in Montgomery: every Saturday from Nov. 16 through Dec. 21 from11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; every Sunday from Nov. 17 through Dec. 22 from noon to 6 p.m.; Nov. 29 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; Dec. 13 from 5–8 p.m. (special pet night!); Dec. 20 from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Dec. 24 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Nov. 17, Santa will make an appearance in downtown Alexander City as part of the city’s Holiday Open House. He will be available at Strand Park from 1-4 p.m.
- Santa will also visit Peachtree Mall in Columbus throughout the holiday season.