By Michelle Key
During last week’s city council meeting on Sept. 3, Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller issued a Proclamation to Raymond Newman naming Sept. 6 in honor of Newman for his 100th birthday.
“Raymond has been a civic minded person for many, many years… (He spent) 50 years in the Rotary Club and is a Paul Harris Fellow. He loves life and loves his family,” Fuller said.
In other business, the council:
• approved the minutes from the Aug. 20 city council meeting and from the Aug. 28 specially called city council meeting
• Mayor Fuller read a Proclamation for Airbag Recall Repair Month
• approved a request from EAMC for two street closures on Nov. 22 and Dec. 6
• removed the resolution from Dreamz Lounge for an alcohol license
• held public hearing and later approved – weed abatement assessments for the following properties:
- 1st Avenue parcel 071.000
- 1st Avenue parcel 136.000
- 1st Avenue parcel 137.000
- 1st Ave & N 28th St. parcel 136.000
- 2nd Avenue parcel 136.001
- 1531 1st Ave.
- 1534 1st Ave.
- 1699 N. 16th Place
- 2401 2nd Ave.
- 2500 1st Ave.
• held a public hearing and voted to approve the demolition of 207 Ave. A, commonly known as the Ward Funeral Home
• held a public hearing and voted to approve the demolition of 3307 Arnold Ave.
• held a public hearing and voted to approve a project agreement with 280 Land Co. – Hidden Lakes
• held a public hearing and voted to approve a project agreement with Interstate Properties, LLC – USA Town Center
• approved expense reports from various departments
• approved a resolution to designate city personal property as surplus and authorize disposal
• approved a refund request from Grier for overpayment of occupational license fees
• approved a resolution extending the city’s contract with Waste Management
• approved a resolution to renew the lease agreement with Heritage Baptist Church
• approved a resolution for a proposal with Piedmont Paving, Inc.
• approved a resolution for the annual renewal general liability insurance
• approved a resolution for the annual renewal of the excess loss insurance contract
• approved an employment contract with Terry White
• approved the fiscal year 2020 city budget
• approved an agreement with SUSCC for the use of the Opelika Sportsplex
• approved a resolution on the infrastructure funding agreement with Opelika Utilities
• introduced for first reading a lease agreement with East Central Alabama Highway Safety Office
• introduced for first reading amendments to the personnel policies and procedures manual
City council meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday nights of every month, with meetings starting at 7 p.m. Meetings including the work session meetings are open to the public and agendas and minutes of the meetings can be found on the city’s website www.opelika-al.gov.
The next scheduled city council meeting will be held on Sept. 17. Meetings are held at City Hall, which is located at 204 S. 7th St.