Community Articles

Auburn Council Discusses Boykin Community Center

BY HANNAH GOLDFINGER HGOLDFINGER@ OPELIKAOBSERVER.COM AUBURN — The Auburn City Council approved several items relating to the new Boykin Community Center during Tuesday night's council meeting.  The Boykin-Donahue Campus Project is a large city project to add a...

Take Me to Your River

CONTRIBUTED BY WANDA DYE  OPELIKA — “Take me to your River…Time with my Fathers” is a body of work created over the past seven years that reflects upon my journey in recovery. The work is a series of meditative moments recorded through image, sound, drawing and...

Opelika Council Approves Funds for ‘We’ll Meet Again’ Performance

BY MICHELLE KEY MICHELLE@ OPELIKAOBSERVER.COM OPELIKA — During Tuesday night's Opelika City Council meeting, the council approved a special appropriation to the Arts Association of East Alabama (AAEA) in the amount of $14,000 to be used exclusively to defray expenses...

Citizens and Commission At Odds Over Comments

BY HANNAH GOLDFINGER HGOLDFINGER@OPELIKAOBSERVER.COM LEE COUNTY — Two years ago, the Lee County Commission removed citizens’ communications from its livestream video, public record and minutes. “The Lee County Commission voted unanimously to change the agenda format...
She’s My Hero …

She’s My Hero …

BY MICHELLE KEY MICHELLE@OPELIKAOBSERVER.COM OPELIKA  — The Opelika City Council and Mayor Gary Fuller recognized Oniece Starks, Thomasine...

read more
Man of Many Firsts

Man of Many Firsts

BY HANNAH LESTER HLESTER@OPELIKAOBSERVER.COM AUBURN — Michael Floyd is man of many firsts. Floyd is a first-generation college student, one of the...

read more