By Michelle Key
During Lee County’s first school board meeting of 2019, board members were recognized as a part of “School Board Member Recognition Month.”
Chief School Financial Officer Ken Roberts presented the board with the financial reports for the month of November 2018 and stated that while the report only covered the first two months of the fiscal year, that the income and expenses were on track with the projected budget.
In other business, the board:
• approved out of state field trips for the Beauregard High School wrestling team and choir
• approved out of state field trips for Smiths Stations High School Wintergaurd band, cheerleaders, baseball team, boys and girls golf teams, choir, junior varsity soccer team, varsity soccer team, softball team and the JR ROTC
• approved out of state field trips for the Smiths Station Junior High School girls soccer team, softball team and the careet tech group
• approved out of state field trips for the Beulah High School wrestling and softball teams
• Superintendent James McCoy announced that he was selected to attend the 2019 Superintendent Conference in Peurto Rico. During this trip, the delegation is scheduled to assist one of the schools that was damaged by last years hurricane.
• reviewed the first readings for changes to Policy 5.10 -Admittance and Enrollment Requirements, Policy 5.28 The Jamari Terrell Williams Student Bullying Prevention Act and Policy 6.72 Drug-Free Workplace
The Lee County School board usually meets the second Tuesday of the month. The next meeting will be Feb. 12 at 6 p.m. at the school board offices which are located at 2410 Society Hill Road in Opelika.