By Michelle Key
The Opelika City School Board met last Thursday afternoon. During the meeting, Finance Officer Chris Harrison presented the proposed FY2019 budget for consideration. The proposed budget includes a general fund revenue of $42,480, 683. Additional revenue sources including special revenues, debt service, capital projects and revenue from the fiduciary expendable trust bring the total revenue to $53,203,303. The additional revenue sources have various federal mandates and constraints in the use of those funds.
The board voted unanimously to approved the proposed budget. More information regarding the FY 2019 budget can be found on the website www.opelikaschools.org.
In other business, the board:
– approved several personnel recommendations
– approved the five-year capital improvement plan. This plan includes capital improvements such as a roof replacement on Morris Avenue Intermediate School and Jeter Primary School as well as a boiler system replacement at Jeter Primary as well as renovations to the OPAC Stage, the gym floor at Opelika High School, and other projects needed to maintain the schools within the district. The Alabama State Department of Education requires that this five-year plan be submitted on an annual basis.
– approved the 2019-2020 school calendar as recommended by the calendar committee
– approved an out of state field trip request from the OHS FFA and Agriscience students to attend the Sunbelt Ag Expo in Moutrie, Georgia
– approved two out-of- state field trip requests from the OHS Ovations Show Choir to attend competitions in Jackson, Mississippi and Evans, Georgia.