By Wil Crews
The Opelika City Council met for its regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday night and held a public hearing regarding the zoning request of 17.8 Acres located on Birmingham Highway, near the intersection of Shelton Mill Road and the RTJ Grand National golf course.
The goal of the zoning ultimately would be to fill the land with residential areas to benefit Opelika’s growing economy.
Cynthia Atkinson, a local real estate agent, and resident of Lee county whose family has owned the private property bordering the zoning line for generations, expressed a number of concerns about the zoning request, namely the overcrowding of the area which could lead public safety concerns.
“I know its progress … so I’m not trying to stop it,” Atkinson said. “We just want some reasonable density. I understand that the builder wants to maximize his return, but at what point do we allow lives versus money.”
– The council heard remarks from Fuller on the city’s financial report and building report for April 2021 and a proclamation for Quaneisha Jones.
– The council approved a request for the National Night Out Parade and Event at Courthouse Square on Aug. 3, 2021.
– The council approved a request for the Annual Kid’s Triathlon at the Sportsplex on Aug. 7, 2021.
– The council awarded a bid for phase two of the Pickleball Courts project.
– The council awarded the bid for the Sportsplex restrooms project.
– The council awarded a bid for the Eastside Waste Water Treatment Plant improvements.
– The council approved expense reports from various departments.
– The council approved a resolution to purchase – 245IP Stationary Compactor using the Sourcewell Contract.
– The council approved the purchase of ammunition for the Opelika Police Department using the State of Alabama Contract.
– The council approved a resolution for a grant application to ALDOT for a pedestrian/bicycle route on Waverly Parkway.
– The council approved the renewal and an amendment to the agreement with CivicPlus.
– The council approved the renewal of existing NPDES permits and payment of applicable permit fees to ADEM.
– The council approved an ordinance to amend Section 5.8.3 of the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual.
– The council approved the reappointment of Tom Morris to the Alabama Municipal Electric Authority Election Committee.
The next council meeting will be held on June 1 at 7 p.m.