By Robert Noles
The local United Daughters of the Confederacy group held a ceremony to rededicate the cenotaph at the corner of Avenue C and Eighth Street last Saturday.
Finish on Dec. 7, 1910, the monument built in honor of Lee County veterans who served and lost their lives during the Civil War was dedicated April 6, 1911.
During the last few months, the area around the monument has received a face-lift, including new sidewalks, pressure washing the monument and laying of new grass.
Hundreds of people and 300 veterans attended the original ceremony, Alabama Polytechnic Institute’s band played and there was a parade.
Last Saturday, nearly 100 people gathered for the re-dedication of the stature that stands so quietly within the City of Opelika.
The ceremony started with the playing of “Bonnie Blue Flag” played on a violin and a welcome by Robert E Lee Chapter–192 president Jean Martin and pledge of alliance.
A greeting was given by Alabama DAR president Suzanna Rawlins, Alabama Division of Sons of Confederate Veterans Lt. Comm. Mike McMurry and Robert E Lee Camp-16 commander Jay Hinton.
Robert E. Lee Camp 192 member Sandra Wilson gave a brief history of the monument, noting that Booker T. Washington contributed money for the monument’s construction.
The flag that has flown over the Little White house in Montgomery was presented to the Robert E. Lee Camp.
Dallas Dorsey Jr, with assistance from his father Dallas Dorsey Sr., placed a wreath at the base of the monument as Justin Belew played “Amazing Grace” on bagpipes and the traditional “Ashokan Farewell” on violin.
After the monument’s unveiling, refreshments were served as people stood around talking about family members of old.