By Beth Pinyerd
The Lee County Low Vision Support Group met on Nov. 19 at East Alabama Medical Center’s Education Resource Center. The meeting topic was “Moving Safely Inside The Home,” which was presented by Taina Garcia, who is a certified orientation and mobility specialist. She presented and had the support group to interact with the following:
- Visualization-the ability to create accurate mental pictures of people, places and everyday objects.
- Protecting the upper body, lower body and trailing.
- Walking with a guide was demonstrated.
- Sighted Guide Techniques were presented to the support group on how to walk through narrow passageways, reversing directions, transferring sides, doorways and seating.
- Discussion on using different kind of canes was shown and demonstrated.
- Modification tips for safe travel inside the home were also presented.
- Large print calendars were provided by Shiquita Fulton, Vision Rehabilitation Therapist for the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services.
For more information about the program, contact Shiquita Fulton at 334-705-2024 (office) or 334-803-3750 (cell).
The group’s next scheduled meeting is Dec. 10 at East Alabama Medical Center from 2 to 3 p.m.