Special to the
Mayor Gary Fuller officially announces his candidacy for re-election for Mayor of Opelika. Fuller has successfully helped bring new jobs, residential and retail development and important infrastructure to the citizens of Opelika over the last 16 years.
“The past few months have been challenging for us as community and country. But, I am proud to have witnessed our community stand together to fight to save our watershed, to overcome a pandemic and to walk peacefully in protest against inequality and injustice. Opelika is a place of strength and we continue to prosper. We’ve seen great cultural and economic achievements, but there is still meaningful work to be done. I am asking for your vote and support in August,” said Fuller.
Opelika has benefited from many accomplishments completed during Fuller’s tenure as Mayor. Some of those accomplishments are:
• Creating nearly 4,000 good-paying jobs
• Creating more than 2,000 new single-family homes
• A renovated and expansion of Opelika High School
• The new Opelika Sportsplex and Aquatics Center and Pickleball Stadium
• A new Fire Department headquarters building
• A new Police Department and Municipal Court facility
• The beginning of a $2 million renovation to Covington Recreation Center
• New roads and Improved infrastructure throughout the city
• The beginning of renovation to intersections and all sidewalks throughout town to become compliant with the Americans with Disability Act (ADA)
• Fuller’s becoming Alabama’s first GIG City
Campaign Manager Barry Whatley added, “Mayor Fuller is a champion for the people of Opelika. He’s a strong, steady hand and will continue to work with the citizens of Opelika to make improvements necessary to become even better than we are today. We are preparing for a campaign that will allow Mayor Fuller to continue telling the great story of Opelika hand-in-hand with its people.”
Fuller said, “This is the best job I’ve ever had. I loved my years in the radio business but the satisfaction of seeing a person get a great job and what that means for their family makes our hard work worthwhile. I’m proud to be part of such an amazing team here in Opelika.”