Courtesy of CAVHCS
September is Suicide Prevention Month, and Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System (CAVHCS) wants to remind veterans and their loved ones through the Be There campaign that small actions can make a big difference to veterans experiencing difficult times.
CAVHCS remains committed to spreading awareness of suicide prevention to veterans and their supporters and connecting them to the resources they need during this and every month.
“We understand that these unprecedented times can cause additional stress and hardship,” said Amir Farooqi, CAVHCS interim director. “And that is just one of the reasons why CAVHCS is committed to being there for Veterans in need. We need everyone to get involved. This September, and all year, I encourage everyone to be there for veterans and others in need. Suicide is a complex national public health issue that affects us all.”
Be There suggests several simple actions that can help make a difference for a veteran, including:
▪ Learning about the warning signs of suicide, found on the Veterans Crisis Line website
▪ Watching the free S.A.V.E. training video to learn how to respond with care and compassion if someone indicates they are having thoughts of suicide
▪ Contacting VA’s Coaching Into Care program, where a licensed psychologist or social worker will provide loved ones with guidance for motivating veterans to seek support
▪ Sharing stories of hope and recovery from VA’s Make the Connection
▪ Reaching out to the veterans in your life to show them you care by sending a check-in text, cooking them dinner or simply asking, “How are you?”
For more information and resources visit BeThereForVeterans.com. If you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide, contact the Veterans Crisis Line to receive free, confidential support and crisis intervention available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, text to 838255, or chat online at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.
About Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System
Central Alabama Veterans Health Care System exists to provide excellent services to veterans across the continuum of healthcare. We take pride in providing delivery of timely quality care by staff members who demonstrate outstanding customer service; the advancement of health care through research; and the education of tomorrow’s health care providers. Achieving the best possible outcomes for veterans is our top priority. Stay connected with us on Facebook.