By Morgan Bryce
For the Opelika Observer
History was made earlier this month with the selection of six members of Opelika High School’s girls soccer team were named to the 6A All State Girls team. Six more from the boys squad received state honors.
Both teams’ seasons were cut short because of the COVID-19 pandemic. At the season’s end, the boys were 5-1 overall, their only loss being a 3-2 road-trip heartbreaker to Smiths Station. The girls were 5-0 overall, their closest win being a 6-0 blowout of Central-Phenix City.
Following is a list of the selected athletes and their placement:
– Alberto Cordova (2nd Team)
– Landon Faison (Honorable Mention)
– Charlie Garcia (2nd Team)
– Tykell Jones (Honorable Mention)
– Caleb Rujana (2nd Team)
– Ethan Souphanthong (Honorable Mention)
– Amiya Brown (Honorable Mention)
– Kaitlyn Goodman (Honorable Mention)
– Erica Mathews (Honorable Mention)
– Emily Lux (2nd Team)
– Abby Noon (2nd Team) and
– Molly Randolph (1st Team).
For more information on OHS athletics, visit opelikaathletics.com or follow the Opelika City Schools Facebook page.