School board considers web-based broadcasting

0
993

By Donna Williamson

Opelika Observer

 

At the July school board meeting, held at Opelika High School’s Bulldog Café, Superintendent Dr. Mark Neighbors shared information with board members about a potential contract between Opelika City Schools and National Federation of State High School (NFHS) for sports broadcasting via the Internet.

Neighbors explained that the NFHS is sanctioned by the Alabama High School Athletic Association.

“Our goal is to broadcast every football game this season,” Neighbors said. He added that away games will be broadcast if that school system has the networking capabilities to do so.

“You pay a small fee to see a live game, but after 24 hours you can see the game for free,” Becky Brown, public relations coordinator, said. “It connects directly to our website.”

The only cost to the school system, according to Neighbors, would be to purchase a camera, laptop and streaming device, which would cost approximately $1,000. “This is a way for us to get our program out there,” he said.

“We film and use their portal. The company distributes it. We control the content; they control syndication. Kicker Broadcast will be used as the audio,” Neighbors said.

Neighbors told board members that the broadcasting company will receive 30 percent of the profit for overhead costs and “we split the other 70 percent.”  He also said the school system will be able to sell advertisements, which will be an additional form of revenue.

Katy Leonard, board member, asked about broadcasting events other than sports. Neighbors said this is part of the plan. “We are going to ease into it and see what we can do,” he said.

The board approved a bid of $23,564 from Hawk, Inc., for cafeteria steamers at Carver and Jeter primary schools.

The board also approved a bid of $10,774 from Art’s Music Shop in Montgomery for OHS band instruments.

The board renewed Jeanie Miller’s contract as principal at Jeter Primary School for four years. “We are very pleased with the work she does,” Neighbors said.

The Opelika High School Community Open House to celebrate the construction and renovation of OHS will be Sunday, Aug. 10 from 2-4 p.m. The ribbon cutting and welcome will be at 2 p.m., and tours will begin at 2:30 p.m.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here