A recent survey of college graduates revealed that barely half know that the U.S. Constitution establishes the separation of powers. A total of 43 percent failed to identify John Roberts as Chief Justice, and 52 percent didn’t know the correct length of congressional terms of office. Shocking!
Take the following quiz and see how well you do.
1. More than 70 people were killed by Somali Islamists in a shopping mall in (a) Ethiopia; (b) Mali; (c) South Africa; (d) Kenya; (e) Nigeria
2. A transgendered student who was born a male was elected homecoming queen at a high school in (a) Washington; (b) Oregon; (c) Pennsylvania; (d) Iowa; (e) California
3. Ayatollah Khomeini is the supreme ruler of (a) Iran; (b) Pakistan; (c) Saudi Arabia; (d) Yemen; (e) Jordon
4. Sally Jewell heads what government agency? (a) Food and Drug Administration; (b) U.S. Forest Service; (c) Fish and Wildlife Service; (d) Interior Department; (e) Social Security Administration
5. Which of those in No. 4 will be unaffected by the “government shutdown”?
6. The oldest member of Alabama’s congressional delegation is (a) Rep. Mo Brooks; (b) Rep. Robert Aderholt; (c) Sen. Richard Shelby; (d) Sen. Jeff Sessions; (e) Rep. Martha Roby
7. Luther Strange holds what position in Alabama? (a) Secretary of State; (b) Lieutenant Governor; (c) Attorney General; (d) State Treasurer; (e) State Auditor
8. Jim Bennett holds which of the positions listed in no. 7?
9. What state representative served as Auburn University’s mascot? (a) Mike Hubbard; (b) Steve Hurst; (c) Barry Mask; (d) Paul Lee; (e) Chad Fincher
10. What state senator represents most of Lee County? (a) Billy Beasley; (b) Cam Ward; (c) Tom Whatley; (d) Gerald Dial; (e) Del Marsh
11. Which of those in no. 10 is Pro Tem of the Alabama Senate?
12. John F. Kerry is currently (a) Secretary of Defense; (b) Secretary of State; (c) Secretary of Commerce; (d) Senior Advisor to the President; (e) Secretary of Agriculture
13. If both President Obama and V.P. Joe Biden died at the same time, who would become president? (a) Joe Lieberman; (b) John Boehner; (c) John Kerry; (d) Richard Shelby; (e) Hillary Clinton
14. A “fishing disaster” has been declared because of a severe decline in the production of oysters in what bay? (a) Mobile; (b) Perdido; (c) Escambia; (d) Apalachicola; (e) Wolf
15. In fiscal year 2012, the total compensation paid to Charles McCrarry, President of Alabama Power Company, was (a) $1,500,000; (b) $2,600,000; (c) $3,200,000; (d) $415,000,000; (e) more than $500,000,000
16. The Public Service Commission establishes the rates Alabama Power charges its customers. Two of the three members of the P.S.C. are up for re-election, Jeremy Roden and Terry Dunn. One favors the status quo and the other favors lowering the rates. Which one favors lowering the rates? (a) Roden; (b) Dunn
17. The longest serving member of the State House of Representatives representing a portion of Lee County is (a) Mike Hubbard; (b) George Bandy; (c) Duwayne Bridges; (d) Lesley Vance; (e) Pebblin Warren
18. U.S. Senator Rand Paul strongly opposes Pres. Obama’s use of drones to kill enemies of the U.S. What state elected him? (a) Minnesota; (b) California; (c) Massachusetts; (d) Delaware; (e) Kentucky
19. Which of those states has the most Somali residents?
20. Which of the following can be purchased with food stamps, also known as SNAP cards? (a) T-bone steaks; (b) bottled water; (c) candy; (d) soft-drinks; (e) a,b,c, and d
Answers: 1 (d); 2 (e); 3 (a); 4 (d); 5 (e); 6 (c); 7 (c); 8 (a); 9 (c); 10 (c); 11 (e); 12 (b); 13 (b); 14 (d); 15 (e); 16 (b); 17 (b); 18 (e); 19 (a); 20 (e)
Bob Mount is a Professor Emeritus with the Dept of Zoology and Entomology, Auburn Univ. He is also chairman of the Opelika Order of Geezers, well-known local think tank and political clearing house. He writes about birds, snakes, turtles, bugs and assorted conservation topics.