By Beth Pinyerd
The Opelika City School Board met to consider and approve new business for the new school year during their regular meeting last Thursday.
During the meeting, the board approved the hiring of 52 new teachers for Opelika City Schools for the 2019-20 school year, approved a membership renewal with the School Superintendents of Alabama and revised the school system’s student code regarding its anti-harassment/bullying policy.
Substitute teachers will see a $10 bonus this school year, with their daily pay increasing $60 to $70.
In other business, the board:
- approved a request to add a bust to the list of surplus sale
- heard from OCS Special Education Coordinator Cynthia Booth about the use of restraint and seclusion during the 2018-19 school year and an update on the system’s special education performance profile
- heard and approved the financial report for the month of June
- heard updates on the school system’s summer feeding program, which served more than 5,000 meals to children at Carver and Jeter elementaries and Opelika High School.
- named “Determination” as the character trait of the month for Opelika City Schools.
The board’s next meeting will be held Aug. 27 at the OCS Board of Education building, which is located at 300 Simmons St.
For more information, call 334-745-9700 or visit www.opelikaschools.org.