By Michelle Key
Mayor Gary Fuller and the Opelika City Council recognized Rosanna McGinnis for her work at the Lewis Cooper Jr. Memorial Library.
McGinnis was selected to the Spring 2019 Public Library Association Leadership Academy. She is one of 28 fellows selected from a nationwide pool of candidates.
Mayor Fuller also recognized the Opelika Parks and Recreation department for three awards that they recently received including the Innovated Special Event of the Year for the Shine Prom held last fall, the Innovated Program of the Year for the Toddler Drive-In Movie and Professional of the Year in Recreation which was awarded to Mandy Johnson.
• received a building detail report for the month of January 2019 presented by Joey Motley
• approved a bid for a city-wide asphalt paving project for $889,536
• approved a bid for a city-wide striping project for the amount of $94,875
• approved expense report(s).
• approved a resolution to designate city personal property as surplus and authorized disposal of a Ford Ranger and two file cabinets
• approved a resolution to purchase in-car video recording system-Sole Source for $28,350
• approved a resolution to authorize grant application to ADEM for recycling.
• approved a resolution to authorize a grant application with USDOT, INFRA program.
• approved the appropriation contract for Opelika Main Street for the 2019 fiscal year for the amount of $21,000
• approved a special appropriation to KOB – 2019 Garden in the Park in the amount of $2,500
• tabled the ordinance to amend city code, Chapter 4 Animal Control until a future meeting in March
• approved the reappointment of Shirley Lazenby to the parks and recreation board. The new term expires March 15, 2024.
• approved the reappointment of Julia Stutts to the Medical Clinic Board. The new term expires on March 2, 2025.
The city council meets at 7 p.m. on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday nights of every month at City Hall which is located at 204 S. 7th St.