By Michelle Key
Mayor Gary Fuller and the City Council recognize the Opelika Middle School 6th grade Quiz Bowl Team for their win at the State Championship. Henry Evans was also recognized for being selected as the state MVP for the event.
In other business, the council:
• approved a request from ALDI Inc Alabama for a retail beer and wine off premise license
• approved a request by Opelika Main Street for the closure of 9th Street between South Railroad and Avenue A on St. for an event to be held March 16 during the hours of 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• approved a request for the annual Unity Stampede Walk/5K to be held at the Opelika Sportsplex on April 27
• approved the purchase of two (2) 15 foot folding rotary cutters for the public works department – the low bid was from Hall Manufacturing Inc. for $19,990
• approved expense reports from various departments.
• approved the purchase of 624 Toter 96 Gal EVR II Universal/Nestable Carts for Opelika Environmental Services for the amount of $31,751.76
• approved refund request Steve Decker and William Jackson for overpayment of occupational license fees
• approved a project agreement with Yongsan Automotive.
• approved a tax abatement agreement, Yongsan Automotive.
• approved a special appropriation to Lee County Commission decoration of entrance, foyer and interactive area of the C.S.M. Bennie C. Adkins Meeting Center for $10,000
• approved a resolution to support alabama legislation for additional motor fuel taxes
• approved a transition extension agreement between Opelika Power Services and Point Broadband for an additional 60 days
• approved the purchase of furniture for the Opelika Police Department headquarters building in the amount of $70,280.40.
• appointed Steve Chapman to the Industrial Development Authority for a term that expires March 8, 2020
• re-appointed David Hudmon to the Property Maintenance Board of Appeals for a term that expires March 16, 2022
• re-appointed Auzzie Comer to the Property Maintenance Board of Appeals for a term that expires March 16, 2022.
City council meetings are held on the first and third Tuesdays of every month. The next scheduled meeting will be March 19 and will be held at City Hall which is located at 204 S. 7th St. in Opelika.
Minutes of the meetings and the agendas can be accessed through the city’s website www.opelika-al.gov.
Meeting are open to the public.