By Morgan Bryce
Summer will be hopping at Opelika’s Lewis Cooper Jr. Memorial Library this year.
More than 400 people attended the kickoff of the library’s summer reading program, a feat that Library Director Rosanna McGinnis credits to her staff and loyal patrons.
“(The event) was a ton of fun and I was so proud of the way our team came together to manage the chaos and make sure everyone had a great experience. I think our success in attendance this past year is due to the amount of listening we have been doing in preparation for the development of our next strategic plan,” McGinnis said in a statement. “Library staff have worked very hard to listen to the community and use that feedback to develop a set of programs that people want to attend. Thank you, Opelika, for continuing to trust us and grow with us as we build library services and programs!”
Following is the library’s full schedule of events for children, teens and adults this summer:
- Monday Movie Madness each Monday during the months of June and July at 10 a.m.
- Story Time Friday’s each Friday during the months of June and July at 10 a.m.
- Tuesday Code Club each Tuesday during the months of June and July from 2 to 3 p.m.
- Thursday Brick Builders on June 13, 20 and 27 and July 11, 18 and 25 (all day)
- Community Art each Friday during the month of June and the first three Fridays of July at 10 a.m.
- Cubing on June 11 from 3 to 4 p.m.
- Didgeridoo Down Under on June 12, starting at 2 p.m.
- Science Tellers on June 19 at 2 p.m.
- Traveling Trunks (Alabama Department of Archives and History) on June 26 at 2 p.m.
- Arthur Atsma (magician) on July 10 at 2 p.m.
- Animal Tales on July 17 at 2 p.m.
- Summer Reading Finale Party on July 24 from 2 to 3 p.m.
- Adulting 101 (Life lessons program series) each Saturday from 4 to 5 p.m.
- Cosmic Art on June 27 from 2 to 3 p.m.
- New Dungeons and Dragons campaign on May 4 from 1 to 5 p.m.
- Crafter Hours: Miniature Painting on June 13 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Bossy Pants Book Club on June 25 and July 23 at 6:30 p.m.
- Crochet on July 1 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Smarty Pants Book Club on July 7 at 3 p.m.
For more information, call 334-705–5380, like and follow the library’s social media pages or visit catalog.opelika.org. The library is located at 200 S. 6th St.