By Alison James
East Alabama Medical Center is an excellent hospital, according to awards given by Healthgrades, the “leading online resource for comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals,” as it describes itself.
The awards were announced in a special ceremony last Friday at EAMC.
“(The awards) recognize the great efforts of 3,200 employees … who work every day to try to do the best job possible to take care of the patients,” said EAMC CEO Terry Andrus.
Andrus was joined by Healthgrades Director of Client Development Conor Tuttle, who presented certificates and trophies signifying EAMC’s achievements in 2014, including:
– recipient of the Healthgrades Outstanding Patient Experience Award for three years in a row; the only hospital in Alabama to be ranked in the top 5 percent for this achievement
– one of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery for three years in a row
– only hospital in Alabama to receive the Healthgrades Orthopedic Surgery Excellence Award for eight years in a row
– recipient of the Healthgrades Spine Surgery Excellence Award
– only hospital in Alabama ranked among the top 10 percent in the nation for Overall Orthopedic Services for seven years in a row
– ranked among top 10 percent in the nation for spine surgery
“Quality is not a coincidence,” Tuttle said. “Quality is a direct result of commitment, collaboration and caring.”
Tuttle said Healthgrades analyzed the data of 3,939 hospitals this year, using patient experience surveys collected by Medicare, 78 of which were in Alabama. The organization looked at clinical outcomes, patient safety and patient experience.
“It’s really not about these awards,” said Andrus. “It’s about whoever is going to walk in these doors in the next 15 minutes (and doing) the best possible job we can to make sure we take care of them.”
EAMC is also a five star recipient for five years in a row for spinal fusion surgery and seven years in a row for hip fracture treatment.
“EAMC is proud to have received this level of national recognition,” Andrus said in a press release. “It highlights the dedication and commitment of our physicians and employees to provide our patients with the highest quality of care.
“To be ranked so highly year after year shows that our physicians and staff work together on a daily basis to ensure that our patients come first. It is who we are as an organization.”