Provides COVID-19 Update
CONTRIBUTED BY EAH
CURRENT HOSPITALIZATIONS NEAR 2Nd PEAK
On Sunday, East Alabama Health matched its April 2020 peak of 54 COVID-19 hospitalizations and surpassed that total this morning with 61 patients. This total is just shy of the 62 COVID hospitalizations recorded in July 2020. Currently, six patients require the use of a ventilator. This compares to eight with the July 2020 peak.
In addition, our overall patient census is at level red this morning with additional patients — including COVID patients — waiting in our Emergency Departments to be assigned a hospital bed.
WEEKEND TESTING FINDS POSITIVITY RATE IN THE 40s
Over the weekend, East Alabama Health tested 341 patients at its testing site, with 147 returning a positive result for a 43% positivity rate. Meanwhile, our three Emergency Departments reported a 44% positivity rate among the patients tested.
Additional testing days are scheduled this week as the ADPH, with help from the Lee County EMA, will conduct testing at our testing site on Tuesday and Wednesday. Then, East Alabama Health employees will conduct testing on Saturday and Sunday. Appointments for symptomatic patients may be made by calling our Call Center at 334-528-4YOU (4968).
MEDICAL GRADE MASK REMINDER
Due to the Omicron variant being highly contagious and causing a sharp increase in cases and hospitalizations, East Alabama Health officials updated its mask policy over the weekend to now require medical grade masks for all staff, patients and visitors.
Everyone entering East Alabama Medical Center, EAMC-Lanier and all offices and services related to East Alabama Health must now wear a well-fitted, medical grade mask that snugly covers the nose and mouth. Masks will be available at all entrances for those who arrive with a cloth mask.
Monday, Jan. 10:
• The ADPH Dashboard indicates 6,250 new confirmed COVID-19 cases today.
• New cases are underreported due to home/self-tests
• Alabama’s statewide COVID-19 test positivity is 41.1%
• To find the rate for your county, click here.
• There are 1776 COVID patients hospitalized today, including 47 pediatric patients.
• Of the 47 pediatric patients, eight are in ICU and four are ventilated
• 360 confirmed COVID-19 patients are in the ICU
• 26% of all ICU patients are COVID-19 positive
• 161 (45%) confirmed COVID-19 patients in the ICU are ventilated
• 65% of hospital ventilators are available
• There were 12 confirmed COVID-19 deaths in Alabama reported yesterday.
• There are 21 hospitalized patients with confirmed influenza (flu).
• There are three hospitalized patients with confirmed influenza and COVID-19.