By Michelle Key
Mayor Gary Fuller and the Opelika City Council recognized members of Dixie Boys baseball team for winning the Alabama State Championship in Enterprise, Alabama and the Opelika Swim Team for wining the ARPA State Swimming Championship in Birmingham on July 27. Swimmers ranged from ages 5-17 years old.
The Opelika Swim Team won the Medium Team Division. This is the secondstraight championship for Opelika.
“I am just so proud of these kids,” said Fuller. “We’re proud of the way you represented our community.”
The council also received a request from Opelika Main Street requesting use of the downtown area for “On the Tracks,” which is an annual wine and food event. The event will be held Oct. 19 from 6-11 p.m. Opelika Main Street also requested that the organization be permitted for the annual “Christmas in a Railroad Town” event on Dec. 7 from 6-9 p.m. Both events will require some road closures during the event and both items were approved by the council.
During the work session, Opelika residents Rocky and Shealy Langley presented the council and audience with a presentation for a project called “The Creekline Project,” which is a proposed development of 13 miles of shared use paths along creeks and various Opelika parks.
In other business the council:
• approved El Rodeo Mexican Restaurant’s request for a restaurant retail liquor and on-premise beer license
• approved a weed abatement assessment, Parcel #1 017 Williamson Ave. in the amount of $123. 06
• approved a weed abatement assessment, Parcel # 034 Orr Ave. in the amount of $134.17
• approved expense report submitted by city employees
• approved a resolution to set date for public hearing to fix assessment of Demolition – 207 Raintree Street in the amount of $6,386.10
• approved a resolution to Set Date for Public Hearing to Fix Assessment of Demolition – 1106 Magnolia St. in the amount of $6,535.10
• approved Contract with AU for Game Day Servcies with Opelika Police Department
• approved the annual renewal of the excess loss insurance contract – H/R. monthly Excess Loss insurance premiums are to be paid to Cobbs Allen & Hall, Inc., the City’s insurance Broker.
• approved the FY2019 City Budget.
• approved a resolution adding a head swim coach job classification
• approved a resolution for the Head Swim Coach Employment Contract with Tyler T. McGill.
• approved a resolution to amend organizational chart of P&R – Building Service Worker. This resolution changes the number of authorized positions in the existing job classification of building service worker at pay grade 7 from two to four.
• approved a resolution to add fitness trainer job classification
• approved a resolution to add ADA compliance officer job classification
• approved a resolution to add a new assistant police chief job classification. This resolution removes the part-time contractual position of Assistant Police Chief and adds a new full-time position of Assistant Police Chief at pay grade 24 in the Opelika Police Department
• approved an Ordinance for the East Central Alabama Highway Safety Office Lease in the amount of $1900.00 monthly for a term of one year
• heard the first reading of an ordinance regarding the Annexation of Property at 465 Lee Road 174.