By Michelle Key
During the December meeting of the Lee County Board of Education, newly elected member Brian Roberson was sworn in. Roberson will serve and represent District 7. He takes the seat formerly held by Napoleon Stringer, whom Roberson defeated in the general election Nov. 6.
In other business, the board:
• approved a proposed revision of the 2019-2010 school calendar
• tabled a request for the Beauregard High School wrestling team trip to the AHSAA Super Sectional Wrestling tournament until the next meeting
• approved out of town or overnight fields trips for the following schools/groups:
- Beauregard High School Band trip to Troy University for the Southeastern US Concert,Band Clinic and Honor Bands
- Loachapoka High School Basketball team‘s trip for a tournament
- South Smiths Station Elementary first and sixth grade trips to the National Infantry Museum
- West Smiths Station Elementary fifth grade trip to Springer Opera House
- Beauregard High School’s softball team’s three trips for tournments
- Smiths Station High School business students trip to attend the Hawks Marketing
- Smiths Stations Girls Golf team’s trip to Mobile for a golf tournament
- Smiths Stations High School’s golf team’s six trips for tournament play
• received and approved the monthly financial report and cash reconciliation for the month of October as presented by Ken Roberts
- held an executive session to discuss human resources recommendations
Lee County School Board meetings are open to the public. Meetings are held the second Tuesday night of the month at the school board office which is located at 2410 Society Hill Road in Opelika. Meetings start at 6 p.m.
Agendas for the meetings can be found on the website www.lee.k12.al.us/Page/5211.