HOME INSTEAD SENIOR CARE
Home Instead Senior Care has been “adopting out” seniors in need in our area since 2003. “Be a Santa To A Senior” was trademarked by its national franchise and has now delivered over 2 million gifts to 75,000 seniors.
Traditionally, its program places wish lists from seniors in need on trees throughout Alabama. The wish lists are then selected by generous individuals in the community who then purchase and return the gifts.
The wish lists are modest. Often the request is for bedding, linens, toiletries, food, books, puzzles, pet supplies, cleaning supplies and more. The seniors are limited to three requests. Each senior can be adopted for $50 to $100. However, this year things are not “traditional.” Home Instead Senior Care fears with less and less people leaving their home, its program could meet its greatest challenge thus far.
Even though a lot has been going on in our community with health concerns over the past few years, seniors still need us. Many seniors are feeling isolated and lonely. Some seniors do not have family regularly checking in on them, or perhaps their families have been restricted from travel and access to their facilities. These are the seniors we want to reach.
Therefore, Home Instead Senior Care needs the help of businesses and community organizations more this year than ever.
What can you do to help?
• Adopt out 20 or more seniors within your organization. (We are working on a virtual adoption through amazon.com, which does not require the volunteer to leave their home.) More information to come on that soon.
• Give a monetary donation so volunteers can go out and shop for unadopted seniors. (We can accept donations requiring a tax deduction through the Home Instead Senior Care Foundation’s 501(c)(3).)
• Have a collection drive for the most commonly requested items:
– Heated blankets
– Socks (for men and women) and
– Non-perishable food items.
If you are interested in working with Home Instead Senior Care to make Christmas happen for our most precious resource, our seniors, email Natalie Downs at email@example.com.