BY MICHELLE KEY
During the regularly scheduled meeting of the Auburn City Council on Feb. 21, two board vacancies were announced as being open for nominees. There are two vacancies to the East Alabama Mental Health Board with terms that begin April 1, 2023, and will end March 31, 2029. Appointments will be announced on March 21, 2023.
There is one vacancy for the Auburn City Schools Board of Education with a term that begins June 1, 2023, and will end May 31, 2028. The appointment for this board will be announced on April 18, 2023.
IN OTHER BUSINESS
• The council approved a request from Auburn Calzones, LLC d/b/a Eddie’s Calzones for a restaurant retail liquor ABC License. The business is located at 130 N. College St.
• The council approved a request from Buc‐ee’s Auburn, LLC d/b/a Buc‐ee’s for a retail beer (off premises only) and a retail table wine (off premises only) ABC licenses. Buc-ee’s will be located at 2500 Buc-ee’s Blvd.
• The council voted to approve a resolution authorizing temporary street closures and invocation of the entertainment district for several community events to be held during 2023. Events are as follows:
– Downtown Family Supper on Thursday, May 18, 2023,
– SummerNight Downtown Art Walk on Friday, June 9, 2023,
– Cheers on the Corner on Friday, July 21, 2023,
– Auburn University Student Government Association Homecoming Parade on Friday, Sept. 15, 2023,
– AHS Homecoming Parade and ROAR on the Corner date still to be determined,
– Downtown Trick or Treat organized by the Auburn Parks and Recreation,
– Department on Tuesday, Oct. 31, 2023,
– Annual Active Auburn Jingle Jog organized by the City of Auburn Parks and Recreation Department on Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023,
– Christmas Parade organized by the Auburn Downtown Merchants Association on Sunday, Dec. 3, 2023 and
– Krewe de Tigris 2024 Mardi Gras parade on Feb. 10, 2024.
The following events were also approved as part of the Entertainment District for consumption of alcohol as “special community events” as provided in Section 3-58(c) of the Auburn City Code pertaining to alcohol consumption in the Entertainment District:
– First Fridays to be held on the first Friday of each month in 2023,
– Sip and Shop to be held on Thursday, March 30, 2023,
– Downtown Family Supper to be held on Thursday, May 18, 2023,
– SummerNight Downtown Art Walk to be held on Friday, June 9, 2023,
– Cheers on the Corner to be held on Friday, July 21, 2023,
– Auburn University Student Government Association Homecoming Parade to be held on a date approved by the city manager,
– Come Home to the Corner to be held Friday evenings prior to Auburn University football home games during the 2023 football season,
Holiday Market to be held on Friday, Dec. 1, 2023, and Saturday, Dec. 2, 2023 and
– 2024 Krewe de Tigris Mardi Gras parade to be held on Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024.
• The council approved a contract with GT Distributors Inc. for the purchase of 80 Protech Plate Harnesses and 160 Protech Rifle Plates for an amount of just under $38,000.
• The council approved a contract with Noble for the purchase of 25 Pitagone F‐18 mobile HVM barriers for an amount of slightly over $58,000.
The council approved a request from Michael and Paula Arasin for the acceptance of public right‐of‐way and drainage and utility easement for property located at 2032 Bonny Glen Road.
The council approved ordinances to establish and set stop signs in Farmville Lakes Subdivision, Phase 7 and Glenwood Farms Subdivision, Phase 1.
This will enable the city to install:
– One stop sign on Monticello Drive at Farmville Lakes Drive.
– One stop sign on Farmville Lakes Court at Farmville Lakes Drive.
– One stop sign on Glenwood Court at Glenwood Terrace.
– One stop sign on Glenwood Terrace at Society Hill Road (Lee Road 54).
• A public hearing was held in regards to rezoning of approximately 34.7 acres from rural (R) to limited development district (LDD). The property is located at 801 Ogletree Road. The applicant for this rezoning ordinance request was East Mag. Investments LLC. The council voted to approve this ordinance.
• A public hearing was held in regards to rezoning of approximately 34.7 acres to apply the Planned Development District (PDD) to property located at 801 Ogletree Road. The council voted to approve this ordinance.
• A public hearing was held in regards to an ordinance to amend the Planned Development District (PDD) on 236.54 acres zoned as Development District Housing (DDH) of approximately 4.19 acres from rural (R) to DDH. The property is located on Miracle Road/Lee Road 83 between West Farmville Road and North Donahue Drive. The council voted to approve this ordinance.
• The council voted to postpone the vote on a resolution for commercial recreational use of property located at 2601 East University Drive.
• The council voted to approve an existing interlocal agreement with Lee County for subdivision review and approval process in the city of Auburn’s planning jurisdiction.