Monday, October 23, 2017

Clinic on Sixth offering free breast exams through October

By Rebekah Martin Associate Editor With October being National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Clinic on Sixth is taking steps to ensure that men and women...

Donations ongoing for Beat Bama food drive

By Morgan Bryce Staff Reporter The East Alabama Food Bank’s 23rd annual ‘Beat Bama Food Drive’ kicked off Oct. 1, with a goal of reducing the...

Restaurant review: Jahvon’s

By Morgan Bryce Staff Reporter No, I wasn’t accompanied by an angelic choir while I ate lunch at Jahvon’s Thursday, but my taste buds definitely thought...

Red Clay Brewery to host inaugural ‘Red Oaktoberfest’ Oct. 20

By Morgan Bryce Staff Reporter Red Clay Brewery will host its inaugural ‘Red Oaktoberfest’ event Oct. 20 from 4-11 p.m. Modeled after Germany’s Oktoberfest festival, the free,...

Small-town roots

Dallas Dorsey pays homage to Opelika through music By Morgan Bryce Staff Reporter The American South, considered by many experts as the country’s musical crossroads, is known...

24th On the Tracks scheduled for Oct. 20

By Morgan Bryce Staff Reporter The 24th biannual On the Tracks event, presented by Opelika Main Street, is slated for Oct. 20 in downtown Opelika. The event...

OTC to hold Masquerade Ball Oct. 28

By Morgan Bryce Staff Reporter The Opelika Theatre Company’s inaugural ‘Masquerade Ball’ will be Oct. 28 at the Bottling Plant Event Center, starting at 6 p.m. Emceed...

The scoop on ‘Scoop’

Opelika's Robert 'Scoop' Owsley recalls career in journalism that spanned a quarter century By Christian Page For the Observer Not having the original aspiration to pursue a...

Mayor’s Monthly Message

By Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller SAFETY AND FUN CAN GO HAND IN HAND October is such a fun time of year. The leaves start turning, we...

County Commission adopts FY18 budget

By Fred Woods Opelika Observer At last week’s regular meeting, the Lee County Commission adopted a total FY 2018 budget of $43, 389,821, up 9.11 percent...